Saturday, September 12, 2015

DIY Headphone Earcap Cover

DIY Headphone Earcap Cover


The day I dreaded came - the day the leatherette on my headphone ear cushion flakes away.  Darn it!  My Urbanears headphone is only a year old, and this has happened to her already.  Just check out the photo below.






Coral, I am sorry you had to go through this.  I wish I had taken better care of you.  You're the one I use every day when working and even when I am jogging.  Don't worry though.  You still sound perfectly fine, and that's what matters.  I will not get rid of you just because you are flaking.  The kurips in me will find a way.




Okay, so I was looking for a solution on how to save my headphones but nothing that suited my taste.  Some use stockings and socks, but this method is not doable on my headphone because there's a mesh stitched in the center of the ear cushion.  As a temporary fix, I taped some tissue paper over the ear pads to protect the leatherette from further trauma.  The problem is the tissue is not strong enough.  If only I can find a better material that is disposable.  Then I suddenly remembered that microphone covers used in videoke bars.  It looks like a very small shower cap, and that's where I got the inspiration for this DIY earcap cover.




At first try, I cut out some face masks into square and then circle.  When I tried stitching, it won't hold the stitch and just tear.  I reached for the next thing that came into my mind.  I had these extra satin cutouts lying around.  Lo and behold, they are the right size for my project.



Sewing Procedure:
1.  Cut out the garter to the size that would fit around the earcap.  Stitch the ends together to form a circle.  Cut the fabric into circle that would cover the earcap.  Make a seam allowance.
2.  Pin the right side of the fabric over the garter by marking out 4 sides first.  Stitch the pin marks vertically (refer to the diagram how).

3.  Change the sewing machine setting to zigzag stitch.  On each quadrant, fold over and gather the remaining fabric to cover the garter.  Stitch zigzag lines while stretching the garter taut.  Repeat on all 4 quadrants until you cover the whole circle.

 Check out the finished product below.

The inside of the earcap cover.


Zigzag stitches

It fits perfectly on my headphone.  I just had to make sure that the cover is not touching the cords.


I love how my project turned out.  The satin feels good and cool on my bare ears.  The sound quality has not changed.  Maybe I should look for a fabric closer to the shade of my Coral headphones, but this gray-silver is not bad at all.  It actually matches the hardware.




What do you think?  Will you be DIYing one of your own?  Tell me how it turns out.




Thank you for reading.

God bless.  (^_~)

1 comment: