Monday, November 11, 2013

Croinut by French Baker

French Baker now has their own version of croissant-doughnut hybrid which they call Croinut.







Many spelling for this specific pastry came up as the "Cronut" has a pending trademark application.  Cronut is a creation of Chef Dominique Ansel who has a bakery in New York.  This food craze made into the news when people began lining up to buy this as early as 5 a.m.  Anyway, a few months later, Filipinos picked up this food craze and created our own.


French Baker's was the first cronut I tried.  I have been putting off trying this because I wanted to make my own.  Too bad I couldn't find the time to go get puff pastry plus my oven is kinda sick.  So here finally I tried cronut.



French Baker sells them at Php85 a piece.  Quite pricey for a single pastry.  The kuripot in me will not buy this so I made lambing to my mother, and she bought two for me.  It pays to be sweet to your parents.  I chose Chocolate and Vanilla.  There was Strawberry too, but I am not a fan of berry-flavored food.


The typical me first eating the Chocolate.  I was actually not impressed.  I was expecting something like Pau Au Chocolat in a doughnut form.  The bread was toasted.  Maybe it was fried for too long.  The chocolate I found only as a garnish.  The filling was custard.  It was also overall dry.  Maybe it is best eaten when freshly made.


Surprisingly, I like this Vanilla one better.  The bread was also better than the Chocolate one and still flaky.  I can still get the croissant thing in it.  Actually, I think the garnish and the filling are the same thing.

My overall assessment is that cronuts should be consumed right after being made so you can enjoy the full benefit of your money's worth.  A few hours later, it gets stale.  I did not try heating it in the microwave though.  Maybe that would also make a slight difference in the dryness I experienced in French Baker's Croinut.  Still at Php85, I think it is cheaper than other establishments' cronut offering.  As for French Baker, I will stick to croissants and Pan Au Chocolat.

Thank you for reading.

God Bless the Philippines!

To my kababayans devastated by earthquake and typhoon Yolanda, my prayers go out to you.  Be strong and keep smiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment